Thursday 15 October 2015

Sarah Padbury annotations.


Annotations of a college in the style of Sarah Padbury


The original piece by Padbury pictured a women looking dismal, with her eyes closed and little facial expression. For my interpretation of the image I took a few images of my subject. The first image didn't show the emotion that I was trying to convey too well and looked more like shock that a person crazed.    


Due this image not being particularly successful I decided to try other ways of portray the emotion.

This image came out looking more like someone that's elated and laughing, rather than the negative side of crazed that I was trying to convey.

This image tended more towards the theme I was striving for, however it wasn't intense enough, and her face looked too staged.


This is the image I eventually chose, due to the fact it created a quite intense emotion, it looked as though the subject truly felt the emotion.I didn't want to recreate the original picture, as it was my own interpretation, i decided to take this image to create a piece with the idea of a crazed emotion rather than subdued as in the original picture. Firstly I mimicked the background of the image by Padbury with strips of newspaper, and patches of black ink. I then ripped up the photograph that I took, and layered it similarly to the original picture. Also adding two enlarged photocopied images of the word 'Today' at the base of the picture, in similar colours to that used by Padbury.
After this point of construction i had to mute the colour within the picture, similarly to the style of the college I am basing this piece on. To achieve this style i applied emulsion to some areas of the college, this mutes the colours and adds texture. It gives the illusion of the style that the college by Padbury portrayed. 



No comments:

Post a Comment