Monday 5 October 2015

Evaluation of the composition of my still life images.

When taking the images I didn't take into consideration the format of the image. As the setting of my phone camera is normally in a rectangle, this was the shape of image I was used to. I could have considered changing the format of the image to a square. However writhing a traditional rectangular format the images are easier to balance, as within squares sections of cluster make the image look awkward due to the shape, a rectangle is more flexible which worked to my advantage when using this format. As one of my images is a long pot a square format may have also made it appear stocky and not add to it length like it would with a portrait format. 


Within my images not much variety is shown, in the classroom I had the habit of taking photos of the subjects at the same angles and with the same perspective which created a boring and reptative nature to my pieces. However when we left the studio and went outside the different surroundings and textures made me experient with viewpoints adding variety to the style of image comparing textures of the pot and tin from different angles.
For example here showing the smooth metallic surface of the tin with the old rusted metal of the gate. 

Before taking the images I wasn't aware of the rules of thirds in order to balance the images so my images look awkward and in turn making them unsuccessful. There are a few images which work with the rule of thirds and I feel this makes for a more successful image. 

Here the subject of the image (the tin) is to the far right of the image making it the focus, it is also in the most light of the image which draws more attention to the subject making it a focal point. 

In an attempt to not make the images the same I added depth to the images in the classroom by adding different textures and creasing the fabrics to make the backgrounds different. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment