Tuesday 13 October 2015

Maurizio Anzeri

Maurizio Anzeri

I will be with you the night of your wedding I will be with you on your wedding night. Embroidery on a photograph, 2013. 21 x 15.5 cm.


Anzeri creates his photos by sewing directly onto vintage photographs. The stiches in effect mimic a item of clothing or to sow a photographic aura of the subject of image. His photos fabricate a visual juxtaposition as the faded, worn and monochromatic antique photos highly contrast with the sharp and colourful lines created by the intricate embroidery on the photograph. The use of mixed media links with the themes that we are studying as it shows how the faded past is now colliding with the future.  Anzeri said that he takes from personal experience to add the patterns and textures to his images thus showing a personal connection with the images that he choses to re-contextualise.
I am particularly drawn to his images as each piece is so different form the previous. By re-contextualising the images you have the possibility to go anywhere with a single photo and that really interests me. From the old photos that I have found from my family I have many opportunity's to re create or do my own interpretation of his style.


http://www.saatchigallery.com/artists/maurizio_anzeri.htm?section_name=photography

No comments:

Post a Comment