Thursday 15 October 2015

John Stezaker annotations.

Annotations of the college inspired by John Stezaker.

Creating the college that mirrored the style of Stezaker, I had to capture the unique humor of Stezakers pieces and also work with old images which have their own memories attached. I used a scan of a picture of mum as a younger girl in a ballet outfit. This obviously has personal connections to myself but also fits with the style of Stezakers work in which he takes old images and re-contextualizes them. I chose to recreate the idea of the face of the subject being taken over by a piece of architecture. The piece of architecture I chose to fit with this photo was a section of the background of an old photograph of another family member. In many of Stezakers pieces he uses a postcard to layer over the top of the original image, these postcards tend to be a slightly different tone to the photograph under neath which creates a harsh contrast. I recreated this style of layering as the background i extracted from a photo was much older than the picture of my mother, it has a more sepia colour which contrasted with the black and white image of the picture of my mother. There is also a juxtaposition created within my piece as the harsh lines of the architecture contrast with the delicate image of the young girl. I do think that this image wasn't as successful as many images by Stezaker due to the shape of the building not reflecting the silhouette of the subject like his images. This is something I could carefully chose next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment